Breckon Hill Primary understands and values the importance of physical activity and sport. The children are encouraged to undertake a range of sports and activities both within the Physical Education (PE) curriculum and also in extra-curricular activities. The Departments for Education, Health and Culture and Media and Sport have allocated ring-fenced funding to support the provision of PE and sport in schools.
In the financial year 2016/17 Breckon Hill Primary school is expected to receive £9800 (tbc)
Breckon Hill proposed budget planning of the fund is to:
* Pool together an amount of funding, along with other Middlesbrough schools as part of the Middlesbrough Primary Schools Sports Partnership;
* Provided extra-curricular activities in a broad range of sports, encouraging all children to be involved, such as horse-riding and Saturday Walking Clubs;
* Additional PE resources purchased to ensure all children have maximum access to individual equipment;
* Employed an additional Assistant Sports Coach ( we now have 2 plus a Sports Development coach) to enhance specialist delivery in-house;
* Purchased suitable sportswear for upper KS2 children to be properly dressed for outdoor sports activities.
The aim of this spending was to:
* Provide a fully resourced curriculum which allowed all children the opportunity to take a full part in a wide range of activities during lesson time;
* Give opportunities for a larger number of children to take part in inter-school competitions and festivals, with a large proportion of Key Stage 1 and Key Stage 2 took part in after-school sporting clubs provided by the school staff over the school year;
* Increased the specialist teaching each child receives through having three sports coaches.
Within the school day, Breckon Hill encouraged learning in all aspects of the PE curriculum with twice weekly planned lessons covering gymnastic, dance, athletics or games based activities. Alongside this the children also learnt about outdoor and adventurous activities and participate in swimming.
As a school, Breckon Hill is proud of the opportunities that are provided through extra-curricular and competitive sport for the children. I